Wednesday, January 25, 2012

16 down

Well, first week back in class.  It is nice to return to some sort of daily routine.  There was no easing back in to school though.  On Thursday, I had my first major examination in Anatomy.  I felt like I prepared well for the exam, but I really didn't know what to expect.  The exam was 50 True or False questions.  Sounds easy, but it really wasn't.  The questions were worded oddly and it made me second guess some of my answers.  To complicate thing, the Anatomy Department practices negative marking, so wrong answers count against you.  This is meant to discourage against random guessing, but in my opinion it only hinders the person taking the test.  You can be 90% sure about an answer, but instead of going with it, you skip it so you don't risk losing points.  So who knows how I did.  Results will be available in a few weeks.

In my other classes, I finished both the Biocultural and Mortuary Theory courses last year.  This term, I continue with the osteology and statistics course and add a Paleopathology course.  Paleopathology is a fun course and I look forward to it. I am not too worried about the course as I have taken it while at UCLA and was also a Teaching Assistant for it.  I am most interested to see what approach is undertaken on this side of the Atlantic.  Also interested in learning more about some of the old world diseases that are as prevalent in the Americas.

I am currently working on an essay for the Biocultural course.  I am having a hard time writing the paper because I just cannot bring myself to care about the topic.  Trying to force the writing just isn't working either.  I am commonly taking very long breaks (a day or more) just to try and get the creative writing juices flowing again.  But nothing is seeming to help.  I have until the 16th of January to finish it, so I still have plenty of time to get it done.

Well I guess that about wraps this week up.  I am sure the next few post will be me continuing to whine about this essay.  So, I apologize ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment